My name is Aleksey Charapko. I am a computer science PhD student at the University at Buffalo. My CS interests include distributed systems, distributed monitoring, distributed databases and fault tolerance. My non-CS interests tend to be technical: aviation, cars, and science in general. Prior to joining UB, I worked as an engineer for a small web development company in Jacksonville, FL while earning my B.S. and M.S. degrees from the University of North Florida.
- Doctor of Philosophy, computer science, in progress, University at Buffalo
Advisor: Dr. Murat Demirbas.
- Joint Bachelor of Science and Master of Science, computer science, 2015, University of North Florida.
Advisor: Dr. Ching-Hua Chuan.
Thesis: Time Series Similarity Search in Distributed Key-Value Data Stores Using R-Trees.
- Lightweight, Incremental, and Retrospective Distributed Snapshots Using Loosely Synchronized Clocks. Charapko A., Ailijiang A., Kulkarni S., Demirbas M. The 37th International Conference on Distributed Computing Systems (ICDCS), pp. 2061 – 2066, 2017.
- WANKEEPER: Efficient Coordination at WAN scale.
Ailijiang A., Charapko A., Demirbas M., Turkkan B., Kosar T. The 37th International Conference on Distributed Computing Systems (ICDCS), pp. 1575 – 1585, 2017.
- Consensus in the Cloud: Paxos Systems Demystied.
Ailijiang A., Charapko A., Demirbas M. The 25th International Conference on Computer Communication and Networks
(ICCCN), pp. 1 – 10, 2016.
- Indexing Musical Sequences in Large Datasets Using Relational Databases. Charapko, A., and Chuan. C.-H. International Journal of Multimedia Engineering and Management, 6(2), pp. 1 – 18, 2015.
- Indexing and Retrieving Continuations in Musical Time Series Data Using Relational Databases. Charapko, A., and Chuan. C.-H. IEEE International Symposium on Multimedia, pp. 341 – 346, 2014.
- Predicting Key Recognition Difficulty in Music Using Statistical Learning. Chuan, C.-H., and Charapko, A. International Journal of Multimedia Engineering and Management, 5(2), pp. 54 – 69, 2014.
- Predicting Key Recognition Difficulty in Polyphonic Audio. Chuan, C.-H., and Charapko, A. IEEE International Symposium on Multimedia, pp. 421 – 426, 2013.
Industry & Consulting
Starting my junior year in college, I worked for a small web-development company in Jacksonville, FL. I have been employed full time starting my senior year in college. I have participated in design and development of a number of small-to-medium size web applications.
Currently I provide consulting and training services. My biggest ongoing project is web-portal used throughout the public schools in the state of Georgia to keep track of services provided to special education students. I was in charge of designing/developing that application while still a senior in college, so one can only imagine about the overall “hight quality” of it… However, the client seems to be happy.